The thirst thing was to get an automatic
gearbox chassis. After this we went to the local metal store
to buy some iron for the chassis. After some searching at other
buggy's we made the dissision to mould some disk brakes at the
front and at the rear also the VW van gearbox had to be fixed
in. So we had fix the 181 suspension to the beetle chassis.
So we started with the chassis to lift
the buggy body 5 cm at the front and rear 8 cm and we replaced
the rear beetle axle for the IRS suspention with CV joints from
Everything is painted, and the alum.
floor panels can be fixed with glue, to reduce weight and it
looks great!. The bottom of the chassis is flat as possible
and gives down force on road driving.....yeah right...?
The front and rear axlel
are now ready with disk-breaksBrake lines are fitted in and
a cutting brake is mounted. We can use this cutting break to
steer with the rear wheels in the sand.
The gear boxes we used are
from a 1972 T2 bus/van. The difficulty about this gear boxes
is that you had the moulding hand made. After this we noticed
that the drive axles are to long so we had to fix 181 drive
shafts wit also 181 cv joints. This cv joints can make a bigger
angle than the beetle joints. The bus gearbox mounting is home
made with ford joints
This engine came from an
911 targa. I bought the Porsche and removed the engine for a
complete strip-down. If you strip an engine like this you need
a lot of space, because it has so many parts and is complicated.
The pistons were in a good condition but the cylinders and heads
(6) hat to be renewed .I replaced the piston rings, piston small
and big end bearings.