The thirst thing was to get an automatic gearbox chassis. After
this we went to the local metal store to buy some iron for the
chassis. After some searching at other buggy's we made the dissision
to mould some disk brakes at the front and at the rear also
the VW van gearbox had to be fixed in. So we had fix the 181
suspension to the beetle chassis.
So we started with the chassis to lift the buggy body 5 cm
at the front and rear 8 cm and we replaced the rear beetle axle
for the IRS suspention with CV joints from a VW181.
Everything is painted, and the alum. floor panels can be fixed
with glue, to reduce weight and it looks great!. The bottom
of the chassis is flat as possible and gives down force on road
The front and rear axles are ready with new disk-breaks
and lines are fitted in and a cutting brake is mounted. We can
use this cutting break to steer with the rear wheels in the
The gear boxes we used are from a 1972 T2 bus/van.
The difficulty about this gear boxes is that you had the moulding
hand made. After this we noticed that the drive axles are to
long so we had to fix 181 drive shafts wit also 181 cv joints.
This cv joints can make a bigger angle than the beetle joints.
The bus gearbox mounting is home made with ford joints
The engine is from a Ford Taunus build in 1980
and has 2400cc. Ernst bought yhe engine from the scrap yard.
With some work on the engine it was ready to replace it in the
Next winter we build the new front window frame,